Masira respects your privacy. Masira offers mapping, GPS navigation, community based services to users of users of Masira’s mobile application (the “Application”) (collectively referred to as the “Services”). When you use our services, you’re trusting us with your information. We understand this is a big responsibility and work hard to protect your information and put you in control.
Contact Masira - Privacy concerns reports
User Accounts & Accessing the Services
Masira may allow you to use the Masira Application whether or not you choose to set up a username for yourself. If you do so:
- With the exception described in the bullet below, your Account and the information associated with your Account (including your unique identifier) will be visible only to Masira.
- When using the Application, your approximate location and other information you may choose to contribute will be visible to other users associated with the general username “Masirar”.
Information that is being collected
We want you to understand the types of information we collect as you use our services
Masira collects information to provide better services to all its users - from figuring out stuff like what’s the best route, to more complex things like monitoring traffic so you know when to leave, and showing you relevant ads while using Masira. The information Masira collects, and how that information is used, depends on how you choose to use our services and how you manage your privacy controls.
Information you create or provide to us:
Information that you choose to share with Masira: information that you choose to share with Masira, including a username you have chosen, reports associated with your username, phone number, “home” or “work”, other “bookmarks”, destinations you may travel to, search queries, calendar information (if you choose to activate and use certain Service features like time to leave reminders) and files you have uploaded to the service, including voice and audio files, if applicable. Even if you aren’t signed in to a Masira Account, you might choose to provide us with information - like an email address to receive updates about our services.
Communication which you choose to conduct through the Masira Services: if you choose to use Masira to communicate with other Masira users or third parties through the Masira Services, such as chat messages or sending pinned locations on the Masira platform. We may also collect information when you exchange communication with Masira, for example, if you submit a request, contact Masira’s support team, or report a violation to the abuse team.
You may also provide additional information that will be used to personalize the Services and enhance your experience with the Services. For example, if you provide us with your “home” and “work” information, we may provide you with what we think is the preferred route between those locations.
Information we collect as you use our services
We collect information about your activity in the Services, which we use to provide you with the Services of Masira, including features which are meant to personalize your experience. This includes things like finding you the preferred route and propose favorites or destinations commonly traveled by you to streamline your search and travel. The activity information we collect may include:
- Detailed location, travel and route information. Location and route information is collected for example in the form of GPS signals (combined with a time-stamp) and other information sent by your mobile device on which the Application is installed and activated. This location and route information is saved to a route history of all of the journeys you have made while using the Application. The types of location data we collect depends in part on your device and account settings. For example, depending on your selected device settings and/or your account settings we may collect information about your location and travel (or lack thereof) also while you are not using the app, in order to be able to tell you when to leave for planned drives, notify you about bad traffic in your area, provide you parking assistance, analyze how effective our ads are and more;
- Terms or venues you searched;
- Your views and interactions with content and ads;
- Your voice and audio information when you use voice and audio features;
- Communication or other content you chose to share with any third party, including Masira users through the Services;
Meta-data (information about your device, browser and app use):
Once you install the Application, Masira collects information about the use of the Services and information from the device you have Masira installed on. For example:
Masira may collect and record how often you use the app and for how long, your device type, unique identifiers, operating system type & version, battery usage, the third party web pages or applications you visit or use or interact with via the Application, information that you viewed on our Services, advertisements that are shown to you or that you view or click on, the fact that you used the Services to communicate with other users and the fact that you used third parties application/services via Masira to communicate with third parties, and the duration of such communications, the Internet Protocol (IP) address and the name of the domain that serves you to access the Services, and the geographic location of the device that you are using to log in and use Masira on.
We also collect information about the interaction of your devices with our Services, including, crash reports, system activity, and the date, time, and referrer URL of your request.
Information we collect about you from our partners
We work with ad partners, including entities that belong to the Google group of companies, in order to show you more relevant and useful ads based on your Masira activity and information associated with your device’s identifier (i.e, Advertising identifiers or similar technologies) shared with us by our ad partners. Your device’s identifier can be managed in your device’s settings (for more information: see here and here).
We may also receive aggregated, non-personally identifiable information and analysis from third parties measurement services which help us understand how our users interact with our ads. We may also receive information from third party services about how Masira’s own marketing efforts performed on third party sites or platforms.
We use various technologies to collect and store information, including, cookies, Advertising ID available on Android mobile devices or similar technologies, local storage, browser web storage, application data caches, databases, and server logs.
Why Masira collects data
Masira may use information collected from or provided by you for the following purposes:
Provide our services
We use your information to deliver our services. For example:
- Use your location and route information and/or search query history to provide navigation services, best route choices, traffic alerts and to provide information about sites, shops and other places and attractions in your close vicinity; and
- To share your submissions with other users of the Services and to facilitate communication between you, Masira and other users.
Maintain & improve our services
- We also use your information to ensure our services are working as intended, such as tracking outages or troubleshooting issues you report to us. And we use your information to improve the service or to develop new features or services. For example, Masira may use your route information to improve the accuracy of its mapping and navigation data.
Provide personalized services, including content and ads
- We use the information we collect to operate the Services and to customize your experience with the Services. For example, Masira may use your “home” and “work” and other “favorites” information (if you choose to provide such information) or route history to offer routes based on how you’ve chosen to travel between favorite destinations in the past. Based on your past activity on the Services we may also suggest to you common destinations where you use the app to navigate to.
- We may also use the information to provide you with support and handle requests and complaints.
- We use data for analytics and measurement to understand how our services are used. For example, we analyze data about your usage of the Services to do things like optimize product design. We also use the data we collected about the ads you view or interact with (e.g. click on) to help advertisers understand the performance of their ad campaigns and to provide them with aggregated reports. We may also use data to measure the usability and effectiveness of Masira’s own marketing efforts on third party sites or platforms.
Communicate with you
- We also use your information to send you updates, notices, announcements, and additional information related to the Services;
- We may also use your information to conduct surveys and questionnaires; And if you contact Masira we may keep a record of your request in order to help solve any issues you might be facing.
- Subject to your prior indication of consent (to the extent required under applicable law), we may also use the email address that you provided to send you promotional and/or marketing materials. At any time you may choose not to receive such materials by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link in the email messages that we may send to you. In any case, Masira will not share your contact details with any advertiser, unless explicitly permitted or required by law.
To protect Masira, our users, the public and for Legal reasons
We may also use and process your information and content, using different technologies to the following purposes:
- To contact you when Masira believes it to be necessary;
- To comply with any applicable law and assist law enforcement agencies under any applicable law, when Masira has a good faith belief that Masira’s cooperation with the law enforcement agencies is legally mandated or meets the applicable legal standards and procedures;
- To detect abuse and illegal activity; to detect and prevent fraud, misappropriation, infringements, identity theft and other illegal activities and misuse of the Services;
- To handle breakdowns and malfunctions;
- To take any action in any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and the Services, or between you and other users or third parties with respect to, or in relation with the Services;
- To help improve the safety and reliability of our Services. This includes detecting, preventing, and responding to security risks, and technical issues that could harm masira, our users, or the public;
- To create aggregated and/or anonymous data (where such data does not enable the identification of a specific user). See “How does Masira use aggregated information”, below;
Sharing your information
Personal information that you share
The Services are based on a community of users publicly sharing information with Masira and with other members of that community.
In particular, users may choose to share personal information such as name, age, gender, picture, their location information, reports and other files. This information may be shared either directly to the Services and to all users, such as in the case of traffic reports, or just to your friends on Masira. This information may also be shared via third party services (such as social networks) which interact with the Services upon such users’ choice.
You can decide whether or not to upload content to the Services. However any content that you choose to share and submit for posting is neither private nor confidential and you should expect that it may be made public and known to others. Information you choose to upload will be posted along with your user name and other information including personal information you attached to your publicly available user profile . You should note that certain road incidents you report may include your driving path within the vicinity of those incidents. Therefore, you must exercise caution and common sense when submitting information. At the very least you should demonstrate the same degree of caution as when publishing personal information by means other than the Internet and cellular services.
In any event (but except as detailed below with respect to information shared from your social network accounts according to your privacy settings for such social network accounts), your email address will not be visible to others through any reports or user posts that you share or upload.
We, at Masira, take great measures to provide you with the best experience you can have while using the Services. However, Masira has no control over the conduct of any user and disclaims all liability in this regard. Users are advised to carefully and thoroughly consider whether or not to make public or available any information and carefully examine all necessary details related to any communication with other users prior to any engagement or communication being made.
Participating in any user’s activities as a result, directly or indirectly, from using Masira, is entirely at your own risk. Masira is not a party to any agreement entered into between the users in any circumstances. The user has the sole and ultimate responsibility regarding compliance with all laws, regulations or any other duty. We do not accept any liability for any loss, damage, cost or expense that you may suffer or incur as a result of or in connection with your participation in any activity or event initiated, held or conducted by a user or a third party nor in connection to any agreement between the users or third parties, including any activity or event related in any way, directly or indirectly, the Services or the use thereof.
When Masira shares your information
Masira does not sell, rent or lease your personal information to third parties.
Masira will not share your personal information with others, without your permission, except for the following purposes and to the extent necessary in Masira’s good-faith discretion:
As necessary for the facilitation and operation of the Services. For example, making public road incidents you report and which are associated with your username and your location;
If Masira is required, or reasonably believes that it is required by law to share or disclose your information;
In any case of dispute, or legal proceeding of any kind between you and Masira, or between you and other users with respect to, or in relation with the Services;
In any case where Masira reasonably believes that sharing information is necessary to protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Masira, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law, including to prevent imminent physical damage or damage to property;
To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues;
Masira may also share personal information with companies or organizations connected or affiliated with Masira, such as subsidiaries, sister-companies and parent companies (i.e. entities that belong to the Google group of companies);
Personal information may also be shared with Masira’s trusted partners and service providers to process it for us, based on our instructions and in compliance with this policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures. For example, we use service providers to help us with customer services.
How Masira retains data we collect
Some data you can delete whenever you like, some data is deleted automatically, and some data we retain for longer periods of time when necessary. This section describes why we hold onto different types of data for different periods of time.
- Information retained until you remove it - such as your “Home, “work”, favorites, email address and other account related information. We’ll keep this data in your Masira Account until you choose to remove it and/or update it.
- Data that expires after a specific period of time - in some cases, you don’t need to actively delete your information as we set retention timeframes based on the reason for the data’s collection. For example, if you choose to connect your calendar to your Masira Account, we extract your calendar events for several days in advance and delete them after their occurrence. We may also take steps to anonymize certain data within set timeperiods.
- Information retained until your Masira Account is deleted - we may keep some data for the life of your Masira Account if it’s useful for helping us understand how users interact with our features and how we can improve our services. For example, if you made an incident report, we will keep information about how many reports you have submitted, even after the event is removed. When you delete your Masira Account, the information about how many reports you have submitted is also removed.
- Information retained for extended time periods for limited purposes - sometimes business and legal requirements oblige us to retain certain information, for specific purposes, for an extended period of time. For example, when Masira processes a payment for you, we’ll retain this data for longer periods of time as required for tax or accounting purposes. Reasons we might retain some data for extended periods of time include: _ Security, fraud & abuse prevention _ Financial record-keeping _ Complying with legal or regulatory requirements _ Ensuring the continuity of our services * Direct communications with Masira
How does Masira use aggregated information?
Masira may use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information (including anonymous location information), in a form that does not enable the identification of a specific user, to properly operate the Services, to improve the quality of the Services, to enhance your experience, to create new services and features, including customized services, to change or cancel existing content or service, and for further internal, commercial and statistical purposes (including advertising).
Masira may also use anonymous, statistical or aggregated information collected on the Services, in a form that does not enable the identification of a specific user, by posting, disseminating, transmitting or otherwise communicating or making available such information to users of the Services, to the Services’ providers, partners and any other third party. For example, GPS information that we receive from your mobile device may be provided to map editors in an aggregated and/or anonymous form to help improve the map and solve map problems, traffic data may be provided to cities, and aggregated ads analysis may be provided to advertisers.
Some of the cookies may expire when the session ends and you exit your browser. Other cookies are saved on your computer’s hard drive. If you wish to block the Website’s cookies, then please use the help button in your browser and follow the necessary instructions. However, bear in mind that disabling cookies may complicate or even prevent your use of the Website, or certain features thereof.
Masira allows advertisers to run ad campaigns on the Services.
The information and advertisements that you see when accessing the Services may be targeted on the basis of your current Masira activity, such as your current location, your destination or contextual information based on your current drive session. For example: if you search for “gas station” you may see an ad for a local gas station.
Depending on your settings, you may also see ads personalized to you based on:
- Information we received from you (for example, your saved “Home” & “Work” addresses)
- Past activity and search query history (for example, drives that appear in your drive list)
- Information from our ad partners, including entities that belong to the Google group of companies and other trusted ad partners.
You can decide whether we’ll show you personalized ads or not through your in-app Privacy Settings–>Ads personalization. Note: turning Ads personalization off does not turn off ads - only their personalization.
- We don’t knowingly collect nor do we show you personalized ads based on sensitive categories, such as race, religion, sexual orientation, or health.
- We don’t share information that personally identifies you with advertisers, such as your name or email, unless you ask us to. For example, if you see an ad for a nearby flower shop and select the “tap to call” button, we’ll connect your call and share your phone number with the flower shop.
- As described under “When Masira shares your information” section above, we work with other Google’s services (such as Google Doubleclick Bid Manager) for advertising and ad measurement purposes. In order to help advertisers decide what ads to show on Masira, Google, and websites & apps that partner with Google, Masira may share information with these services such as a unique identifier for advertising (Advertising ID available on Android mobile devices or similar technologies). You can learn more about how Google uses information from sites or apps that use its services and how you can control that in this page.
- The Ads personalization control described above apply to personalized ads served by Masira on the Masira platform and they do not apply to ads served on third parties platforms, including on Masira’s behalf.
The Services includes an internal messaging system which provides you the ability to send and receive messages to and from other users, and to receive marketing messages from us. You hereby agree that we may use the internal messaging system for the purpose of informing you regarding products or services, which may interest you.
It is clarified that we are not responsible for the content of said advertisements and the products delivered or services rendered thereby by third parties and you irrevocably and unconditionally agree that we shall not be held responsible or liable for any loss, damage, cost or expense that you may suffer or incur as a result or in connection thereof.
Masira considers information security to be a top priority. Masira services are built with strong security features that continuously protect your information. Masira implements systems, applications and procedures to secure your personal information, to minimize the risk of theft, damage, loss of information, or unauthorized access or use of information. For example, we review our information collection, storage, and processing practices, including physical security measures, to prevent unauthorized access to our systems. In addition, we restrict access to personal information to Masira employees, contractors, and agents who need that information in order to process it. Anyone with this access is subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
The insights we gain from maintaining our services help us detect and automatically block security threats from ever reaching you.
However, these measures are unable to provide absolute assurance. Therefore, although Masira takes great efforts to protect your personal information, Masira cannot guarantee and you cannot reasonably expect that Masira’s databases will be immune from any wrongdoings, malfunctions, unlawful interceptions or access, or other kinds of abuse and misuse.
Compliance & cooperation with regulators
We store data on servers located around the world and your information may be processed on servers located outside of the country where you live. Data protection laws vary among countries, with some providing more protection than others. Regardless of where your information is processed, we apply the same protections described in this policy.
When we receive formal written complaints, we respond by contacting the person who made the complaint. We work with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of your data that we cannot resolve with you directly.
If the European Union (EU) data protection law applies to the processing of your information, we provide the controls described in this policy so you can exercise your right to request access to, update, remove, delete, and restrict the processing of your information.
You also have the right to object to the processing of your information.
We process your information for the purposes described in this policy, based on the following legal grounds:
With your consent
We ask for your agreement to process your information for specific purposes and you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. You can manage your settings at any time, including your in-app Privacy Settings.
When we’re pursuing legitimate interests
We process your information for our legitimate interests and those of third parties (such as partners including advertisers, in order to report use statistics) while applying appropriate safeguards that protect your privacy. This means that we process your information for things like:
- Providing, maintaining, and improving our services to meet the needs of our users
- Developing new services and features that are useful for our users
- Understanding how people use our services (including how they interact with our ads) to ensure and improve the performance of our services
- Customizing our services to provide you with a better user experience
- Marketing to inform users about our services
- Providing advertising to make our services freely available for users
- Detecting, preventing, or otherwise addressing fraud, abuse, security, or technical issues with our services
- Protecting against harm to the rights, property or safety of Masira, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law
- Performing research that improves our services for our users and benefits the public
- Fulfilling obligations to our partners like developers and rights holders
- Enforcing legal claims, including investigation of potential violations of applicable Terms of Service
When we’re providing a service
When we’re complying with legal obligations
We’ll process your data when we have a legal obligation to do so, for example, if we’re responding to legal process.
If you have questions, you can contact Masira and our data protection office, led by our Data Protection Officer, at: [email protected]. And you can contact your local data protection authority if you have concerns regarding your rights under local law.